We are a charity that supports Young Carers aged 8 – 18.
What is a YOUNG CARER?
A person under the age of 18 who helps to look after someone at home, that person is usually someone in the family who has a disability, a mental health problem, a long term illness or who may have a drug/alcohol problem.
13,000 of the UK’s young carers care for over 50 hours a week.
Following a survey in 2010, the BBC estimated that there are 700,000 young carers in the UK.
Young adult carers aged between 16 and 18 years are twice as likely to be not in education, employment, or training (NEET).
When you care for someone you might…
Put their needs before your own
Help them with things they find difficult
Worry about them.
What does it all mean?
The Young Carers Service was set up because some young carers have a lot to juggle!!! It can be hard caring for someone and trying to get on with things that other young people do like…going to school or college, seeing friends and doing other things you enjoy. The young carers project offers breaks from caring, opportunities to meet other young carers who understand, help to get support at school or college and will try to find ways of reducing the caring role if that’s what you want.
Carers Trust Swansea Bay – Young Carers Service can support Young Carers in lots of ways;
- We can meet with you to do an assessment. This just means that we would have a chat with you and ask some questions about your caring role. It’s not a test! It’s just a way of us finding out more about what you might need for us to help you.
- If you are having some issues at school or college then we can help! Like maybe the school don’t know that you are a carer, maybe you’re late for school or miss days because of caring. Or, maybe you’re falling behind on your school work because you can’t concentrate or find it difficult to have time to do your homework.
- We might be able to give you breaks from your caring role and opportunities to meet with other Young Carers the same age.
- We can access funding grants which will help you in your caring role.
- We can help you find help for the person you care for if you want it.
You can contact us at the Young Carers Service yourself or you can ask someone else to contact us for you. We will ask a few questions to see if your situation is something we can help with. Contact us